Monday, April 4, 2011

Monkees - Don't Call on Me



"Hey look Harry. The Monkees. They were a huge influence on the Beatles." So it turns out The Monkees don't suck all the time. They've got their good stuff too. This track is from the album Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones which was their more experimental album. It marks one of the first albums in which they had a bit more control of the music they wanted to play instead of the record company.
"Don't Call on Me" is a kind of lazy, mellow lounge song, with the din of a fancy club offering a mood setting intro. It feels like I should sit at a bar and have a whiskey on the rocks and a cigarette while this song is playing. Check Please!

Don't call on me,
When you're feeling footloose,
And fancy-free,
You've done that before,
And, like a fool,
I came back for more.

It's all over now,
I've finally seen my way,
I need you no more,
Not now or any other day.

Okay, little girl,
Live for yourself,
In your own little world,
I know that you'll find
Someone who'll play at love,
He'll...be just your kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment