Wednesday, February 15, 2012

::Sappy Love Songs Week:: Buddy Holly - Dearest



This is my favorite Buddy Holly song hands down and fits quite well in this week's theme what with his lovey dovey lyrics and his heartthrobbiness amongst the womenfolk of the 50s. Its pretty cheesy and so simple but still fantastic. There's a better version of this out there where it's just him and an acoustic guitar that adds a more personal, desperate feeling to it, but I couldn't find it in the two seconds I took to look for it so I gave up. Sue me.

Any way its got all the sappy, gushy stuff in the lyrics. But it also has the Uhhhhmmmyeah's going for it. I cant explain why, but that is probably one of my favorite thing about lead vocals. I love a singer's ability to throw in some noise (Ooo's, uhh's, wah's, what have you's) that add that extra kick to a song. There is such a thing as over the top however, David Lee Roth.

Dearest - though you're the nearest to my heart 
please don't ever - umm ya 
ever say we'll part 

You scold and you were so bold 
yes together - umm ya 
our love will grow old - umm ya 
our love will grow old 

You may be a million miles away 
please believe me - umm ya 
when you hear me say 
I love you - I love you 

Come home - keep me from these sleepless nights 
try my love again - umm ya 
I'm gonna treat you right - umm ya 
I'm gonna treat you right

No comments:

Post a Comment